August 08, 2016
Dear Summer Camp Families:
We can’t believe that this is the last week of summer camp. We have really enjoyed spending time with your children and hope that the experience was rewarding and enriching for them. But, it’s not over yet. We have a very busy week planned.
Thursday, August 11th is our final field trip to the beach at Coney Island. We will not be going on any rides. There is no charge for this trip but it is important that you send your child to camp prepared for the trip.
• We will leave the school at 9:30 a.m. and return around 5 p.m.
• Children should come to school with bathing suits on. Send underwear in their backpack if you
think they will want to change before coming home.
• All children need to bring a towel, bathing suit, sunscreen, a hat, a bagged lunch and two bottles of
water. School Lunch will be provided if needed. Small sand toys are allowed. It is very important that your child brings water. We will not take students with us on this trip if they don’t have at least one bottle of WATER!!
• Your child may bring up to $5 to purchase a snack at the beach -The $5 can be used to
purchase food only – no toys or souvenirs. Group leaders will hold all money brought by students.
• Our swimming policy for the beach is younger children can go in to the water up to their knees,
older children (3rd-5th grade) up to their waist. You must complete and sign the permission slip below in
order for your child to go into the water. If you do not want your child to go in, please make sure they
understand your wishes before we go on the trip on Thursday. Our swimming instructors and lifeguards will accompany us on the trip.
Friday, August 12th will be our End of Camp Carnival & BBQ. We will be having a cookout of
hamburgers and hotdogs and would like all families to contribute a side dish or salad. Hot
dog/hamburger buns, cheese, bottled water is also needed. Please no beverages, desserts, cookies or candy. As much as we would love for families to join us, this BBQ is for summer campers only. We will eat lunch at 12:30.
We took a lot of pictures and videos over the summer. If you have not yet requested to join our closed Facebook Group, search for the GROUP PS 11 Afterschool and Summer Camp and request to join.
We look forward to seeing you in September.
P.S. Interim Afterschool and Early Bird Registration will be open this week on our website, http://www.ps11programs.com. Afterschool Information will also be available in the coming weeks.
Week #6, Carnival, August 8th-August 12th
Daily schedules are below:
Monday, August 8th
Tuesday, August 9th
• 3rd & 5th graders will be returning to Governor’s island to participate in Grow NYC’s Farm Program. Please send your child with a camp tshirt, bagged lunch & extra water. Leaving PS 11 at 9 am.
• 6th graders will be biking on the Lower East Side, leaving PS 11 at 9:00 am sharp! Please send your child with a camp tshirt & extra water.
Wednesday, August 10th
• 5th graders will be biking on the Lower East Side, leaving PS 11 at 9:00 am sharp! Please send your child with a camp tshirt & extra water.
• 6th graders will go Fishing at Pier 63. Please send your child with a camp tshirt & extra water. They will leave PS 11 at 11:30 and return by 1:30.
Thursday, August 11th
Our field trip on Thursday is to Coney Island. We will be traveling via subway and will leave PS 11 at 9 am. We plan to return by 5. Please send your child in their camp t-shirt and with at least one extra bottle of water. Bagged school lunches will be available if needed.
Friday, August 12th
LAST DAY OF SUMMER CAMP! BBQ & Carnival.
Join the PS 11 Programs Summer Camp Remind App for updates, pictures and field trip status.
Request to join our Facebook Group, PS 11 Programs/Afterschool & Summer Camp. This is a closed group. Search for the group on Facebook and request to join. Upon approval, you will have access to the page where we post daily pictures and information about summer camp.
Summer Camp seats are filling up fast! Reserve your seat with a $100 deposit.
Week 1 (7/5-7/8) – Stars & Stripes, Field Trip (7/8) to Governor’s Island
Week 2 (7/11-7/15) – Its a Bugs Life, Field Trip (7/14) Greenburgh Nature Center, Scarsdale, NY
Week 3 (7/18-7/22) – Down on the Farm, Field Trip (7/21) Fosterfields Living Historical Farm, Morristown, NJ
Week 4 (7/25-7/29) – Into the Woods, Field Trip (7/28) Bear Mountain
Week 5 (8/1-8/5) – Art & Nature, Field Trip (8/4) Storm King Art Center, New Windsor, NY
Week 6 (8/8-8/12) – Carnival, Field Trip (8/11) Coney Island, Camp BBQ (8/12)
• Specialty Classes in Hip Hop, WonderHut Science, Swimming, Gardening, Sports, Art, Pop Music Stars, Tennis, Coding, Cooking and much much more.
• Neighborhood trips to the Muehlenberg Library, Highline, Hudson River Park.
• Overnight Camping Trip for 4th & 5th grades to Harriman State Park (8/2-8/3)
(students must attend both weeks 4 and 5 in order to go on the camping trip.)
• Bike New York (4th-6th grades)• Mini Camp in Soccer (see below).
• Ryan Center will be open on Mondays & Wednesdays for all summer camp students.
Summer Scholarship applications are available.