Summer Camp 2018
Dear Summer Camp Families:
We can’t believe that this is the last week of summer camp. We have really enjoyed spending time with your children and hope that the experience was rewarding and enriching for them. But, it’s not over yet. We have a very busy week planned. Please read this letter carefully and complete both the trip permission slip and the BBQ form.
Thursday, August 16th is our final field trip to the beach at Coney Island. We will not be going on any rides. There is no charge for this trip but it is important that you send your child to camp prepared for the trip. Students must attend camp all 3 days (Tuesday & Wednesday) in order to go on the trip on Thursday.
• We will leave the school at 9:30 a.m. and return around 5 p.m.
• Children should come to school with bathing suits on. Send underwear in their backpack if you
think they will want to change before coming home.
• All children need to bring a towel, bathing suit, sunscreen, a hat, a bagged lunch and two bottles of
water. School Lunch will be provided if needed. Small sand toys are allowed. It is very important that your child brings water. We will not take students with us on this trip if they don’t have at least one bottle of WATER!!
• Your child may bring up to $5 to purchase a snack at the beach -The $5 can be used to
purchase food only – no toys or souvenirs. Group leaders will hold all money brought by students.
• Our swimming policy for the beach is younger children can go in to the water up to their knees,
older children (3rd-5th grade) up to their waist. You must complete the permission slip online in order for your child to go into the water. If you do not want your child to go in, please make sure they understand your wishes before we go on the trip on Thursday. Our swimming instructor and lifeguards will accompany us on the trip. There will be no Genius Hour this week
Friday, August 17th will be our End of Camp BBQ. We will be having a cookout of hamburgers and hotdogs and would like all families to contribute a side dish or salad. Without your delicious side dishes, our BBQ will just be hot dogs & hamburgers. A limited number of hot dog/hamburger buns, cheese,. Bottled water is also needed. Please no other beverages, desserts, cookies or candy. As much as we would love for families to join us, this BBQ is for summer campers only. Please complete this form to let us know what you want to bring. We will eat lunch at 12:30.
We took a lot of pictures and videos over the summer. If you have not yet requested to join our closed Facebook Group, search for the GROUP PS 11 Afterschool and Summer Camp and request to join.
We look forward to seeing you in September.
REGULAR CAMP HOURS ARE 9:00-5:00 • EARLY DROP OFF IS AT 8:00 A.M. ($10 PER DAY) • LATE PICKUP IS AT 6:00 P.M. ($10 PER DAY)
• BREAKFAST WILL BE SERVED DAILY BEGINNING AT 8:45 A.M. • CHILDREN CAN NOT ENTER THE SCHOOL BUILDING BEFORE 8:45 UNLESS SIGNED UP FOR EARLY DROP OFF • SCHOOL LUNCH WILL ALSO BE PROVIDED EVERY DAY BY SCHOOL FOOD. IF YOU CHOOSE TO SEND YOUR CHILD WITH HIS/HER OWN LUNCH, PLEASE DO NOT SEND GLASS BOTTLES OR ANY ITEMS THAT NEED TO BE MICROWAVED.
CHILDREN SHOULD BRING WITH THEM EACH DAY:
• A BATHING SUIT AND TOWEL • SNEAKERS • A BOTTLE OF WATER OR WATER BOTTLE • FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN, AN EXTRA SET OF CLOTHES • SUMMER READING BOOKS/PROJECTS
PLEASE APPLY SUNSCREEN TO YOUR CHILD EACH MORNING BEFORE COMING TO CAMP.PLEASE LEAVE ALL TOYS, GAMES, CANDY, ELECTRONICS AT HOME.
CHILDREN SHOULD BE DRESSED APPROPRIATELY IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN ALL ACTIVITIES. SHORTS & SNEAKERS/SANDALS ARE PREFERRED. PLEASE NO FLIP FLOPS. CHILDREN WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO ON FIELD TRIPS WEARING FLIP FLOPS!!
THE SUMMER CAMP SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS:
8:00 EARLY DROP OFF ($10)
9:00-10:00 BREAKFAST/CHOICE TIME
10:00-12:00 ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES*
12:00-1:00 LUNCH/PLAY TIME
1:00-2:00 GENIUS HOUR**
2:00-4:00 ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES*
4:00-5:00 FREE TIME/DISMISSAL
5:00-6:00 LATE PICKUP ($10)
Below are listed the links to all summer camp forms, Genius Hour signups and general camp information.
GENIUS HOUR WILL BE HELD EVERY DAY FROM 1:00-2:00. STUDENTS WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SIGN UP FOR AN ENRICHMENT PROGRAM OF THEIR CHOICE.
Mini Camp 7/2-7/6
July 2nd – Flushing Meadows/Queens Zoo
July 3rd – Brooklyn Bridge park
July 5th – Central Park/Hayden Planetarium
July 6th – Prospect Park
We have extended our regular summer camp program to include the 2 days before and after the 4th of July, July 2nd-July 6th, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Students will meet at PS 11 and travel to one of NYC’s amazing parks. Sports, arts & special programs will be offered. Students will return to PS 11 by 4 pm for Free Time. Students will be required to bring a bagged lunch. Snack will be provided. Seats are limited to only 50 students. The cost for the 2 days is $200, 4 days is $375.00. This program is not open to incoming Kindergarten students.
Week 1 (7/9-7/13) The Big Apple
Field Trip (7/12): Governor’s Island, via subway & ferry
Week 2 (7/16-7/20) Mad Scientists Week
Field Trip (7/19): Liberty Science Center, via subway & ferry
Week 3 (7/23-7/27) Born to be Wild
Field Trip (7/26): Bear Mountain Trailside Museum & Zoo, Highland Falls, NY, via school bus
Week 4 (7/30-8/3) Animal House
Field Trip (8/2) Greenburgh Nature Center, Scarsdale, NY, via school bus
Week 5 (8/6-8/10) – Artful Antics
Field Trip (8/8 – K-2nd grade, 8/9 – 3rd-5th grade)
Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton, NJ, via school bus
Week 6 (8/13-8/17) On the Boardwalk, Spirit Week
Field Trip (8/16) Coney Island, via subway
Camp BBQ & Carnival (8/17)
Additional highlights & activities:
• Neighborhood trips to the Muehlenberg Library, Highline, Hudson River Park
• Overnight Camping Trip for 4th & 5th grades to Harriman State Park (8/7-8/8) (students must attend both weeks 4 and 5 in order to go on the camping trip.)
• Bike New York (5th grade – must be at least 10 years old)
• Additional field trips to Sims Recycling Center, NYC International Children’s Film Festival, New Victory Theatre Dance Program